As a Weapon
Bamboo is used in several East Asian and South Asian martial arts.
- In the ancient Tamil martial art of Silambam, fighters would hit each other rapidly with bamboo sticks.
- In the traditional Japanese martial art of Kyudo, flatened, planed bamboo front and back covers and a bamboo laminate center are used to make the more than 2 metre bow.
- In the Japanese martial art of Kendo, bamboo is used to make the Shinai (sword).
- In conventional archery, the longbow and recurve bow limbs are commonly crafted with flat ground bamboo, and also used to make superior weapons for bowhunting and target archery.
- A bamboo stick can be made into a simple spear by sharpening one of the ends.
- History's first gunpowder-based weapons from China's 10th century, such as the fire lance, were made of bamboo.